Lawyers in this Practice
Lewis C. Foster
Stephen A. McSween
At Egerton, McAfee, our Healthcare law practice encompasses a wide range of legal services in the rapidly changing and highly regulated health care industry. The services we offer include:
- Regulatory compliance and related advice, including complex compliance issues and concerning compliance plans and procedures.
- Defending and managing audits and investigations of potential False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback, Stark Law or other fraud and abuse violations; advising on self-disclosures; and negotiation of settlements and corporate integrity agreements (CIAs) with government agencies.
- Assisting with corporate and strategic issues, such as corporate structure, new business models, governance, licensure, certification and accreditation, and medical staff structures, as well as surveillance committee agreements, clinical study agreements, and host facility agreements.
- Contract negotiation, drafting and review, and practice or entity management issues, as well as agreements and regulatory compliance relating to employment issues, as well as any of other host of issues that confront a healthcare business providing services to the public.
- Medical device registration and intellectual property registration.
- Financing and restructuring for healthcare providers, including capital access, venture capital and/or private equity investments and partnerships.
- Transactions such as mergers and acquisitions of medical providers, hospitals and health care companies; designing and negotiating physician-hospital contracts and arrangements; and joint ventures and partnerships among health care providers and with health plans.
- Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement issues, including appeals, and updates on any new developments.
- Privacy and security compliance, including counseling clients on HIPAA and HITECH ActRed Flags rules; designing compliance policies and procedures; assisting with internal compliance audits; responding to Office of Civil Rights investigations; and assistance with managing and reporting data breaches.
- Issues relating to health information technology, such as contracting for electronic health records, cloud computing, software licensing and IT services and outsourcing.
- Health care business negotiations and dispute resolution.
Over the years, Egerton McAfee has performed these services for a variety of clients, including physician groups, ambulatory service centers, and other ancillary health service providers, institutional health care providers such as academic and community hospitals and health systems, senior living, and post-acute care facilities including skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, community care retirement facilities and home care and hospice facilities, physician practice and health service management companies, health care facility developers, medical device manufacturers, and pharmaceutical companies.
Healthcare compliance involves a complex matrix of rules that weave through both the individual and business levels of the healthcare industry. Whether a company is in the business of providing healthcare services to the general public, or in the business of providing services to other medical service providers, such as a medical device manufacturer, our attorneys can assist in navigating the complex issues faced by the individuals or entities operating in the medical industry.
Included in this practice
Hospitals and Health Systems, Physician Practices, Physician/Hospital Joint Ventures, Fraud and Abuse, Physician syndications, Mergers and Acquisitions